The parkrun Research Board was established in 2013 and formed a partnership with the Advanced Wellbeing Research Centre (AWRC) in Sheffield in 2016. It is a multi-disciplinary group of between 10 and 15 members who bring relevant and diverse research interests, expertise and experience. The board includes academics, researchers, practitioners and parkrun staff.
The parkrun Research Board allows research groups and individuals to engage with the parkrun community comprising runners, walkers and volunteers in person and through online channels, and the parkrun dataset for research purposes. The board is currently led by the AWRC with the support of parkrun. The role of the board is to oversee high quality research linked to parkrun worldwide. The Research Board’s main responsibilities are to:
- lead research proposals in line with parkrun’s priorities;
- disseminate research outputs;
- review and respond to all external requests from researchers wanting to undertake parkrun related research;
- assist in organising a parkrun research conferences and research events;
- produce an annual report summarising its activities and key findings.
The parkrun Research Board will consider funded proposals from postgraduate students, academics and partners that align with the parkrun Research Board themes. The current priority themes are:
- demographics and data analytics
- children and young people
- economic evaluation
- engagement and the impact of parkrun on inactive groups, focusing on: areas of social deprivation, age, disability and ethnicity
We ask all research groups developing research proposals, using the parkrun community, for external funding to contact and liaise with the parkrun Research Board prior to submission to the funder.
Please note, the parkrun Research Board does not accept College, Sixth Form or Undergraduate projects. Masters / taught postgraduate projects are only considered when the project, candidate and supervisory team are deemed exceptional (criteria outlined here)
If you’d like to discuss your proposal please get in contact.
The official language of the parkrun Research Board is English.